Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Longsuffering is my middle name.

Or maybe it's martyr.

I’m learning that being a saint isn’t good enough, not by a long shot: that the higher calling is to be human.

Because being human is what we’ve really been called here to do.

We distract ourselves with thinking we have to we have to suffer or sacrifice in order to be perfect, because we don’t want to do the really hard work of being imperfect.

That requires more humility than we are willing to practice.

It’s so much irony, because those of us who get muddled by this sainthood thing are tricked by the devil at our weakest point, aren’t we?

Once we’re willing to be human, then the way is opened for us to do God’s work. God says, ah, you’re here. Now we can begin.

So I look up "Saint" on youtube thinking I'll find some deeply inspirational Bach cantata and I find this pop music "Saint Etienne" instead. Heh.